7 wild and wonderful facts you didn’t know about cycling
With the Tour Series just around the corner, we thought we would have a bit of fun. So we have pulled together these facts about cycling that we bet you never knew.
1.The first bike ever constructed was made of wood. Several thousand copies were built and used. However, they were far from safe and when the number of accidents soared the police banned it!
2. The longest tandem bicycle in recorded history had 35 seats and was approximately 67 feet long!
3. Amazingly, a bike can stay upright without a rider as long as it’s moving at 8mph or faster. (However, don’t try that at home!)
4. Damian Hirst designed the world’s most expensive bike, which was auctioned for $500,000.
5. The largest rideable bicycle has a wheel diameter of 3 m (10 ft 9.92 in).
6. Fred Rompelberg holds the fastest speed ever recorded on a bicycle; he reached 167 miles per hour!
7. The development of the modern bicycle gave young Victorian women a degree of independence that their mothers could never have imagined.